Sosa remains on warning track Print E-mail
Written by Fred Mitchell   
Saturday, 28 August 2010

The love-hate saga between Sammy Sosa and his former fans never seems to end. 

The former slugger, who retired with 609 career homers, continues to be reviled by many of the very same Chicago Cubs fans who cheered him during his historic pursuit of baseball’s most revered power numbers.

In a recent interview with Chicago Magazine, Sosa again refused to address the allegations in the New York Times that he failed a steroids test administered by Major League Baseball in 2003. Sosa also could not understand why fans question his integrity after he was caught using a corked bat and was alleged to have left Wrigley Field before a game at the end of the 2004 season.

“They put me out there like I was a bad guy,” Sosa said. “when all I did all my whole life was play hard and give everything I had for the organization and for the people of Chicago.”

Sosa, who owns homes in Miami and his native Dominican Republic, said he asked the Cubs to host a press conference for him in Chicago last year to formally announce his retirement. The Cubs refused.

While the Cubs have been building statues to immortalize Hall of Famers Ernie Banks and Billy Williams, the legacy of Sosa continues to crumble.

The only chance for reconstruction of the faith that fans once had in Sosa is for total disclosure and contrition from the team’s all-time leading home run hitter.
 





Del.icio.us!Technorati!Newsvine!Blogmarks!Yahoo!
 
< Prev   Next >