Hank Aaron Award
Written by Jim Rednour   
Thursday, 01 November 2012

The Hank Aaron Award was introduced in 1999 to honor the 25th Anniversary of Hank Aaron surpassing Babe Ruth's all-time home run record. It was the first major award to be introduced in more than thirty years and it recognizes the best overall hitter in each league.

In 1999, a winner was selected using an objective points system. Hits, home runs and runs batted in were given certain point values and the winner was the player who had the highest tabulated points total. The system was changed in 2000, however, to a ballot system, whereby each club's radio and television play-by-play broadcasters and color analysts were given three player votes for each league. The first place vote receives five points, the second place vote receives three points, and the third place vote receives one point, and again the winner is the player with the highest point total. Beginning in 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote through the MLB.com website. Fan voting accounted for 30% of the points, with broadcaster and analyst voting accounting for the other 70%.  The award is sponsored by Century 21 Real Estate and is presented before Game 4 of the World Series.

To date, three members of the 500 Home Run Club® (Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds) have won this all-encompassing batting award.  In fact, both Rodriguez and Bonds have captured the award a record three times.